Silas Hiscock Sr. Succumbs to Injuries After Raceway Crash

Silas Hiscock Sr. on the track. Image via public "Riverhead Raceway Fans" Facebook page.

After a practice day crash Saturday afternoon at Riverhead Raceway, Silas Hiscock Sr., of Bridgehampton, died of his injuries early Monday morning.

Mr. Hiscock, who was known as “an old-school racer,” and who owned Hampton Gas Tank Services in Bridgehampton, was 78 years old.

The owners of Riverhead Raceway, Eddie and Connie Partridge and Tom Gatz, posted a statement online on Monday about the accident and its outcome, saying they “send their thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Silas Hiscock Sr. on this very tragic loss.”

Visitation will be Thursday, May 2, from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. at Yardley and Pino Funeral Home in Sag Harbor, and funeral services will be Friday, May 3, at 11 a.m. at Edgewood Cemetery in Bridgehampton. A full obituary will appear in next week’s edition of The Sag Harbor Express.

Mr. Hiscock’s family could not immediately be reached for comment this week.

According to the Raceway’s statement, Mr. Hiscock hit the fourth-turn wall during a Legend Race Car test session on Saturday, and was rushed to Peconic Bay Medical Center immediately. He was transferred to Stony Brook University Hospital’s Level 1 Trauma Center, where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Mr. Hiscock was a veteran INEX Legend Race Car driver who drove Sportsman and Modifieds in the 1950s and 1960s, earning a Modified win in July of 1961. He left the sport for a time, but was drawn back in when the Raceway introduced the INEX Legend.

“The class, which featured body styles of the coupes and sedans from his racing heyday, were right up his racing alley and Silas went back racing,” the Raceway wrote in its statement. “What made returning to racing more attractive to Silas this time around was the fact his sons, Silas Jr. and Will, joined him on the track, often racing side by side.”

Hiscock’s death is the fourth at the track in the last 25 years.