Review Board Pursuing Grant to Update Historic Survey

0
349

After the discovery last year that some streets had inadvertently been left off Sag Harbor Village’s 1994 historic survey, the Board of Historic Preservation and Architectural Review is embarking on a journey to seek state funding to update the document and add those missing streets and structures.

The Sag Harbor Village Board on Wednesday approved a resolution that gives the BHPAR permission to pursue that grant, in the amount of $16,000.

Some of the omitted streets, such as Bayview Avenue, were identified during the board’s February 23, 2017, meeting. Board chairman Anthony Brandt on Wednesday said the potential survey update is a step in the right direction for the village.

“It will fill in the 1994 survey that we have, which is missing parts of the village that didn’t get surveyed,” he said. “Also, there are buildings in the village that have aged into qualification for historic structures, and we want to find out where they are and what they are and put them in.”

The survey update may also have the effect of slightly expanding the board’s jurisdiction in the village historic district.

“We’ll certainly look around to see if there are places to be added to the district, but its intent is to fill in the blanks where there are blanks,” Mr. Brandt said.

The grant application will be made in the next 11 days to the state’s Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. The state would pay 60 percent of the proposed $16,000, while the village would pay the remaining 40 percent.

Comments