A Quick Stop: Damage Limited In Bridgehampton House Fire

Firefighters remove a work of art from the home of fashion photographer Steven Klein on Scuttlehole Road in Bridgehampton on Sunday. Stephen J. Kotz photos

Firefighters from the Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor Fire Departments teamed up on Sunday afternoon to extinguish a fire that threatened the home of the fashion photographer Steven Klein on Scuttlehole Road in Bridgehampton.

Bridgehampton Fire Chief Tim Sieger said Bridgehampton firefighters were passing through East Hampton Village on their way home from marching in the Montauk St. Patrick’s Day Parade at about 1:15 p.m. on Sunday when they received a report that a house just east of the Channing Daughters’ Winery was on fire.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found the roof of a one-story addition on the south side of the house ablaze. “We were fortunate,” he said. “The wing was set off, and the wind was out of the northwest so it blew the flames away from the rest of the house.”

An onlooker sees the roof of the house ablaze on Sunday.

The flames had already burned through the roof, causing extensive damage to the room, when firefighters arrived, although they were able to quickly bring the fire under control. Shortly after the fire was extinguished, a team of firemen could be seen carting an oversized color photograph that measured perhaps 4-by-6-feet from the house.

Chief Sieger said it appeared a wood stove may have been the cause, but that he was waiting to receive a final report from the Southampton Town Fire Marshal’s office.

Southampton Town Fire Marshal Al Tyczkowski said on Tuesday that was the case. “A freestanding fireplace was defective,” he said. “It wasn’t properly containing the sparks from the flue.”

Firefighters from Sag Harbor helped fight the blaze, while two Bridgehampton ambulances stood by. The Southampton Fire Department sent an engine to the Bridgehampton firehouse to stand by as well in case there was another call. Firefighters left the scene at about 4 p.m.

Mr. Klein did not respond to a request for comment.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, but not before major damage was done.