Mariners Beat Hampton Bays and Win the Mayor’s Cup

Pierson athletes celebrate winning the Mayor's Cup following Southampton's 21-6 victory over Hampton Bays on Friday, September 14. Eric Bramoff photo

For the first time in 13 years, the Mayor’s Cup is back in Southampton. The Mariners football team came out firing in all facets of the game last Friday night and scored offensive and defensive touchdowns in a season-defining 21-6 win over rival Hampton Bays, which has gotten the best of Southampton during the last decade.

“One of our goals we set was to win this game,” Southampton head coach Bruce Muro said. “It’s a good step one. Our second goal is to reach the playoffs and that comes with a few more wins.”

The Mariners (1-1), who dropped their opener, 35-0, to Shoreham-Wading River on September 7, will host Elwood-John Glenn on Friday, September 21, at 7 p.m.

Southampton’s Niake Williams struck first against Hampton Bays with an 18-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. Late in the half, instead of running out the clock, the Mariners tried to push the ball, but instead a costly turnover led to a touchdown for the Baymen as the game was tied at halftime, 6-6.

“My mindset at that point in the locker room was that we were the better team,” Muro said. “It started with giving them that mindset and they knew it was their game.”

Pierson’s Hudson Brindle, who handles Southampton’s kicking duties, pinned the Baymen deep in their own territory, and on second down Southampton’s Nicere Buck intercepted Hampton Bays quarterback Lucas Brown’s pass and took it back 36 yards for a score. The Mariners added a two-point conversion and led, 14-6, with just under 11 minutes to play in the third quarter.

Bridgehampton junior Elijah White, who had a strong all-around game, scored on a 29-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter to give the Mariners a commanding lead. Brindle added the extra point to provide what turned out to be the game’s final margin.

Pierson’s Dimitrius Barranco, a junior who starts at running back and middle linebacker, was recovering this week from a leg injury he suffered against Hampton Bays. His status for Friday night’s game was uncertain as of Tuesday, according to his head coach.

“It’s not broken; he went to the doctor yesterday,” Muro said. “He’s sore. But he’s one of our pivotal players. He’s such a strong player and he’s a bright young man. He has a high football IQ and we love him.”