Live Grenade Closes Canal


The Shinnecock Canal was closed for five hours on Wednesday, July 2, after a local fisherman discovered a live grenade in the water near the east bank, according to a release issued by the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office Marine Patrol was on patrol in the canal when Edgar Narvaez, of Patchogue made a report to the office of a hand grenade in the water. Deputy Sheriffs James Bowra and Brian Dunn investigated the tip, locating the grenade north of the Montauk Highway overpass in just one foot of water. The area was evacuated and the United States Coast Guard assisted in closing the canal, with Southampton Town and New York State police also on hand. The grenade was detonated in a nearby sandy area around 10 p.m., police said.

“This incident reminds us of the importance of constant vigilance while securing waterways vital to our life in Suffolk County and serves as a perfect example of cooperation between our citizens and police agencies in preserving our security,” said Suffolk County Sheriff Vincent F. DeMarco.

In other police news, Sag Harbor Village Police reported a couple of driving while intoxicated arrests following July Fourth weekend festivities. Just before 1 a.m. on Sunday, July 6 police received a call of a driver in a white Mini Cooper driving all over the roadway on Route 114. After stopping the car, police said Nicholas E. Schepisi, 23, of Manhattan exhibited signs of intoxication and failed field sobriety tests. He was charged with operating a motor vehicle while under the influence and driving while intoxicated, misdemeanor crimes, as well as for driving on the right side of the road, a violation. Schepisi was held for morning arraignment and released from East Hampton Town Justice Court on $500 cash bail.

Just over an hour later, Sag Harbor Village Police pulled over Maaki Philip Shiroyama, 21, of Sag Harbor after they said he allegedly failed to stop at a stop sign at Long Island Avenue and Main Street, and then allegedly sped down Main Street. Police stopped him on Madison Street, and said he failed field sobriety tests. He was charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence and driving while intoxicated, misdemeanors, as well as for failure to stop at a stop sign and speed, violations. He was held for arraignment and released from Southampton Town Justice Court on his own recognizance.

On Sunday, July 6 Southampton Town Police arrested Angel A. Garcia, 30, of Southampton for allegedly driving while intoxicated and aggravated unlicensed operation in the third degree, both misdemeanors, after someone called police to report a male driver almost hit his vehicle near Montauk Highway and Head of Pond Road in Water Mill. Police said Garcia fled his vehicle on foot, but was found and charged.

A Sag Harbor resident was charged with disorderly conduct after police said they found him urinating in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven in Southampton around 1:45 a.m. on Sunday, July 6. Don C. Fitzgerald, 47, of Sag Harbor was arrested at the scene.

On Thursday, July 3 Southampton Town Police charged Gabriel Omar Fiel, 34, of Water Mill with the misdemeanor crime of aggravated unlicensed operation in the third degree after they said he was involved in a motor vehicle accident at North Sea Mecox Road in Southampton and police discovered his license was suspended. He was released on an appearance ticket.

In East Hampton, police arrested Jose Farez, 30, of Sag Harbor with the same crime after police said they pulled him over on Route 114 for driving 12 miles over the speed limit on Sunday, July 6.

The driver of a New Jersey registered 1998 BMW M-3 reported his car was damaged overnight after he left it parked in the Washington Street, Sag Harbor parking lot’s entrance/exit. According to police on Friday, July 4 the resident came to headquarters to report his license plates were taken and the rear light lenses damages, which will cost roughly $600 to replace. He told police he had parked the car, which was blocking an entrance and exit to the lot, at 9 p.m. and when he returned at 1:30 p.m. the next day to retrieve it, discovered the damage. He had also received a couple of parking tickets.

A Lumber Lane, Bridgehampton resident called Southampton Town Police on Thursday, July 3 to report that four planters, valued at $9,000, were taken from a Hayground Road, Water Mill business. The detective’s division is following up on the crime.

On Wednesday, July 2 a Randall Road, North Sea resident called Southampton Town Police to report that someone siphoned gasoline, approximately 10 gallons valued at $40, from a pick up truck while it was parked alongside her house.

An Apple i-Book was reportedly stolen from a Main Street, Bridgehampton business, according to a report filed with Southampton Town Police on Saturday, July 5. On July 4, the Manhattan resident stated that he left the computer on a table in the business and went to get a beverage and when he returned the computer, valued at $1,000 was gone.

Two youths, a boy and girl ages 15 and 16, were found trespassing aboard a vessel in the boat basin on Bay Street, Sag Harbor on Monday, July 7. On Saturday, July 6, Sag Harbor Village Police found several young men on the roof of a Main Street, Sag Harbor restaurant. They were asked to leave.