Green Light for Elementary School Field, Multipurpose Court Project

0
577
A view of the court and walking path behind Sag Harbor Elementary School. Gavin Menu photo

The New York State Department of Education has green-lighted the athletic field and multipurpose court project at Sag Harbor Elementary School, district officials announced Monday.

The project will also benefit from about $43,900 in funding leftover from last year’s Pierson Middle-High School natural grass field project, which can be shifted to the elementary school project because it was all part of the same February 2017 referendum voters approved to reallocate funds originally earmarked for a synthetic turf field at Pierson.

Architect John Longo of the firm Burton, Behrendt and Smith said he feels “comfortable” that the district can complete the elementary school project with the available money, between $660,000 and $703,900. The project will include a sod athletic field for sports practices and a redone multipurpose court and concrete plaza. Mr. Longo said the potential even exists for the district to include additional projects should there be extra money available at the end of construction. Included among those possible projects is a “vehicle-rated barrier” that could be installed along Route 114 where the playground is — a topic the school board has previously debated. Another possibility is completing the walking and running path that currently winds around most of the campus, creating a full loop.

The concrete plaza in front of the school will have “a more durable, thicker concrete surface” with “a dye that gives it more character and a scoring pattern that gives it more interest,” Mr. Longo told the school board on Monday.

The multipurpose court on the Atlantic Avenue side of campus is being rebuilt completely “from fence to fence,” he said, with painted asphalt and the ability for the school district to change the games — from pickle ball to kick ball — represented on the surface.

The practice athletic field will be sod, which will be laid down in late August. As a result, the field to be largely unavailable for student use through the end of September as it knits together, said Mr. Longo. SHES principal Matt Malone said the playground, multipurpose court and non-sod parts of the field would be available during that time for students to use during recess.

According to Mr. Longo, now that state approval has been received, the plan will undergo revisions and final engineering work through the end of February. The project will be published for interested bidders in early March, with responses to be received in early April and contracts to be awarded by April 18. Mr. Longo said the work at SHES will commence as soon as the school year is over at the elementary school. The last day of school is June 22.

That caused some concern among school board members who asked Mr. Malone about whether summer school would be held there again. Mr. Malone confirmed it would be held there starting the week after the July 4 holiday, and said arrangements would be made for students to enter the building on the Hampton Street side to mitigate their exposure to the construction.

Comments