There will be no rockets’ red glare over East Hampton this summer.
All four of the major fireworks shows that would usually be held throughout the summer have been canceled for 2020 over concerns about social distancing protocols to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
The East Hampton Fire Department, which had planned to hold its fireworks in mid-August this summer, and the Clamshell Foundation, which puts on the annual Great Bonac Fireworks in mid-July, were the latest to announce that their annual shows will not go on, joining the Montauk Chamber of Commerce and the Devon Yacht Club’s annual Fourth of July shows.
“Given the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, the uncertainty over the next few months with what’s going to happen with mass gatherings and the general interest of public health and safety,” East Hampton Fire Department has chosen not to hold its fireworks, Chief Gerard Turza Sr. told the East Hampton Village Board last week. “We were hoping to have things loosened up … but there’s no way we could pull off a mass gathering in good conscience.”
Clamshell Foundation spokeswoman Kori Peters said that the group doesn’t foresee the permits required to hold its annual show over Three Mile Harbor being issued in time for the show to go on but that the group is resolved to resume in 2021.
Montauk Chamber of Commerce President Paul Monte said that the chamber is considering trying to hold a fireworks show later in the year, as it has in years past, but that the July 4 show is canceled, and the Devon Yacht Club confirmed that it will not be holding its annual show, a tradition dating back to 1947.