Damage, No Injuries, After Fire Extinguished at the Sag Harbor Launderette

0
914
A fire broke out at the Sag Harbor Launderette Saturday. Stephen J. Kotz photos.

A smoky fire caused extensive damage to the Sag Harbor Launderette shortly after noon on Saturday.

“We were able to knock it down pretty darn quick,” said Sag Harbor Fire Chief Steve Miller, who added that more than 80 volunteers and all of the department’s trucks responded to the scene within minutes of receiving reports of “smoke and fire above the dryers” around 12:30 p.m.

Building owner Ted Seiter talks with Sag Harbor Fire Department Chief Steve Miller.

One of four apartments above the laundromat suffered fire and smoke damage, while the other three were largely spared except for smoke damage, the chief said. None of them were occupied at the time of the fire, he said.

White’s Apothecary, which shares a common wall with the laundry, also suffered some smoke and water damage and remained closed Saturday afternoon, as a smoke alarm continued to sound.

No injuries were reported.

Chief Miller would not speculate about the cause of the fire, saying he would leave that to the East Hampton Town fire marshal who was at the scene.

For about 90 minutes Saturday afternoon, firefighters wearing air tanks were in and out of the building. The sound of saws could be heard as they opened walls to pinpoint the source of the fire. Fire trucks lined Main Street, which was closed between Bay and Washington streets.

After the fire department wrapped up its work, the laundromat was a mess, with portions of the walls and ceiling lying on the wet floor. The building’s owner, Ted Seiter, was on the scene to survey the damage with a representative of a salvage company.

The interior of the launderette after the blaze was extinguished.

Firefighters were seen going in and out of the building in the early afternoon.

Comments