No nightclubs are permitted in the basements of private homes. That may be stating the obvious, but the Town of East Hampton had to take legal action to enforce it.
The town won a temporary restraining order against three defendants who allegedly violated a certificate of occupancy for a single-family residence by holding a commercial event, charging a cover fee — and featuring lots of music, booze and overcrowding on the premises.
New York State Supreme Court Justice Joseph C. Pastoressa, acting at the request of East Hampton Town Attorney Michael Sendlenski, executed the TRO on August 19, barring defendants Luis H. Farez, LI-DJ Entertainment and Water Mill Deli from using the property at 7 Muir Boulevard in East Hampton in violation of the C of O issued for the residence, which bans both overcrowding and all commercial business operations at the dwelling.
A series of complaints from neighbors about events held on the property prompted a town investigation, which in turn led to the execution of the TRO, Mr. Sendlenski said in a release. During one such event on August 12, which had been advertised locally, town code enforcement officials “arrived on the scene and found more than 130 patrons dancing, consuming alcoholic beverages and paying a cover fee for entrance to the event,” he said.
Mr. Farez, the property owner who is one of the defendants, is scheduled to appear in Town Justice Court on September 12.