Springs resident Valon Shoshi, who was the subject of a manhunt by East Hampton Town Police on October 3 after he allegedly fired several shotgun blasts in his Gardiner Avenue home before leaving in his car with the weapon, was back in East Hampton Town Justice Court on Thursday, October 30.
Mr. Shoshi is facing a felony reckless endangerment charge as well as three misdemeanor counts stemming from the incident.
Mr. Shoshi, who was dressed in a black suit, and his attorney, Ed Burke Jr. of Sag Harbor, conferred briefly with Justice Lisa Rana after his case was called.
“You are not to leave the country,” Justice Rana told the defendant. “I am taking your passport.”
Moments later, she repeated, “If I find out you have violated that order and directive, it will not be a good situation for you.”
Mr. Shoshi, who was freed in October on $25,000 bail, had undergone a psychiatric evaluation earlier this week and was ordered to return to court on November 26.
At Thursday morning’s appearance, he was accompanied by a number of supporters, many of whom stood with him outside the courtroom after his brief appearance.
“This is an emotional time for him,” said Beth Sheen, who said she was a family friend. She would not say whether or not Mr. Shoshi had sought to return to his native Kosovo, where he lived until late last year when he suffered a gunshot wound after being accosted on the street outside his home.
On October 3, Mr. Shoshi allegedly fired several shotgun blasts in the bedroom of his home. His mother suffered minor injuries when she was struck by pellets. He then fled in a black Cadillac sedan. Police ordered area schools to go on lockdown as they sought Mr. Shoshi, who they thought had barricaded himself in a home in the Jericho Lane area. He was later apprehended on Springs-Fireplace Road in East Hampton near the One Stop Market.