East Hampton town officials and the Amagansett Life Saving and Coast Guard Station Committee have invited the public to attend a ceremony at noon on May 3 to commemorate a new flagpole on the grounds of the Amagansett Life Saving Station at Atlantic Avenue Beach.
The Amagansett Life Saving Station was built in 1902 and operated by the U.S. Life Saving Service until 1915, when it was taken over by the U.S. Coast Guard, which operated it until the mid-1940s.
In 1966 Joel Carmichael saved the building by moving it to Bluff Road and converting it to a home for his family. Forty years later, the building was given back to the town by the Carmichaels. It was lifted off its foundation at their property and moved down the road back to its original site where it is now being restored.