Two local school bus companies have appealed a judge’s dismissal of a suit filed against the Sag Harbor and Wainscott school districts that alleged the schools’ transportation agreement was illegal and not in the best interests of their taxpayers.
Suffolk County Supreme Court Judge Joseph Farneti in February said the Article 78 complaint, brought by Montauk Student Transportation and the McCoy Bus Company in the summer of 2016, had no merit because the five-year transportation agreement the two schools inked in 2016 for Sag Harbor to transport Wainscott’s students was legal.
Previously, the Wainscott School District used McCoy Bus Company since 2009 and had used Montauk Student Transportation before that. The bus companies argued the two school districts circumvented the competitive bidding process, which was how they obtained Wainscott’s contracts in the past, but Judge Farneti disagreed.
“Petitioners were not unlawfully denied the opportunity to bid on the transportation services, as respondents are permitted to enter into a shared service agreement,” the judge wrote in a February 28 dismissal.
Neither bus company could be reached for comment this week.
Sag Harbor School District superintendent Katy Graves said in a statement the bus companies’ appeal “does not change the district’s approach to the case.”
“The district will continue to provide transportation services in the same manner as it has since the case was originally commenced,” Ms. Graves said.