The Bridgehampton School varsity boys basketball team, the Killer Bees, will return for a final season in its storied Beehive, Bridgehampton School Principal Michael Miller confirmed late Wednesday afternoon, subsequent to the printing of the article “Bridgehampton School May Not Have a Varsity Team This Winter” in The East Hampton Press and The Southampton Press.
“This decision is based on carefully garnering input from our athletes, parents, community and coaching staff,” Mr. Miller said in a press release issued by media relations firm, Syntax. “We look forward to the continued tradition of excellence by the Bridgehampton student athletes.
Whether or not The Killers Bees — one of the most celebrated programs on the East End, thanks, in large part, to their nine New York State Class D titles — were going to have a varsity team this coming school year was up for debate, school officials confirmed earlier this week, because of a roster limited to a small number of very young and inexperienced players.
Mr. Miller, who is also the director of physical education at the Bridgehampton School, said that a decision on whether the school will have a varsity squad, or strictly a junior varsity team, would most likely will be made at the upcoming Board of Education meeting next Wednesday, August 28. The school did hold a parents and players meeting on Monday night to go over different options, Jennifer Vinski, a parent of two of the players on the team, and also a member of the School Board, confirmed on Tuesday.
Ms. Vinski said that this year’s team is extremely young, with more than half of the players being freshmen. The team lost a number of key players to graduation last season, including J.P. Harding, Jahqur Carr, Jonny DeGroot and Nat DePasquale.
Ms. Vinski said on Tuesday that the parents, coaches and administrators are working together and exhausting all avenues before making a final decision.