Accident Leads To Amputation


A North Amityville man’s left leg was amputated below the knee after he was hit by a Long Island Railroad Train sometime around 2 a.m. on Tuesday, July 22. Southampton Village Police received a call that a pedestrian had been struck by a train near the railroad tracks just west of North Sea Road. Police, MTA, Southampton Fire Department and Southampton Volunteer Ambulance were dispatched to the scene where police said they found a Hispanic male lying off in the brush with severe injuries to his left foot. According to police, an eyewitness recounted seeing Elmerahim Amaya, 21, lying parallel between the rails of the train tracks as the train was approaching and was unable to escape the path of the westbound train. LIRR officials did activate emergency braking in an attempt to stop the train. He was taken to Southampton Hospital where he was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital for surgery. Amaya’s left leg was amputated, said police and he also suffered head and neck injuries. Amaya is wanted by Southampton Village Police in connection with an August 2007 burglary at the Clam Man in Southampton.

A Manhattan woman was arrested around 2 a.m. on Saturday, July 19 by Sag Harbor Village Police after they said they pulled her over on Hampton Street by the Mobil Station for driving in an erratic manner and found she was allegedly drunk. According to police, Julie Weiss, 39 failed several standard field sobriety tests and was charged with operating a motor vehicle while under the influence and driving while intoxicated, both misdemeanors, as well as for a number of traffic violations. She was held at headquarters until her arraignment later that morning where she was released from East Hampton Town Justice Court on $500 cash bail. Audrey Lyons, 39, of Sag Harbor was arrested by East Hampton Town Police on Saturday, July 19 just before 1 a.m. According to police, she was pulled over at Route 114 and Swamp Road after they said she was seen crossing the double yellow line. She was charged with driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, after police said she failed standard roadside sobriety tests.

Southampton Town Police arrested Mario A. Lopez-Ortiz of Sag Harbor on Friday, July 18 after police said he was pulled over for a traffic violation and allegedly provided police with an incorrect birth date. He faces the misdemeanor charge of false personation.

After Southampton Town Police said they heard glass shatter at the Hampton Realty Group offices on Montauk Highway in Water Mill and witnessed James A. Ribarich, 36, of Sag Harbor walk away from the store, they stopped and arrested him for fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor. According to police, Ribarich confessed to breaking the glass.

Pia L. Chepolis, 25, of Sag Harbor was arrested by Sag Harbor Village Police on Tuesday, July 15 after police said they pulled her over for talking on her cell phone while driving and discovered her license was suspended in 2004. Chepolis is charged with aggravated unlicensed operation in the third degree, a misdemeanor, and was released on a traffic ticket.

An Ohio man called Sag Harbor Village Police on Friday, July 18 looking for his missing 17-year-old daughter. According to police she had left her Ohio home that day at 12:30 a.m. by car and when he spoke to her she said she was headed to New York, possibly Sag Harbor. Columbiana County Sheriff’s office in Iowa later confirmed to police that they found the girl in that state.

Last week two men were charged by Sag Harbor Village Police for breaking village law by allegedly drinking alcoholic beverages on the street. On Saturday, July 19, a 27-year-old East Hampton resident was charged after police said they observed him walking on Division Street with an open bottle of Coors Light, which he was allegedly drinking. On Sunday, July 20 they charged a 30-year-old Manhattan man after he was seen allegedly consuming the same beverage on Meadow Street.

A fight broke out at a Main Street, Sag Harbor bar on Tuesday, July 15, according to a report filed with police just before 3 a.m. that morning. According to police a 23-year-old Sag Harbor resident got into a fight with another man, prompting his transport to the hospital after police said his head was swollen and he had several lacerations. The victim had a fractured nose, according to police, but never followed up with police to provide more information about his attacker.

A dispute over two bounced paychecks led the employee of a Sag Harbor nail salon to contact Sag Harbor Village Police on Thursday, July 17. According to the police report, when the employee tried to talk to her boss, her employer became irate and damaged the employee’s property. After police contacted the employer, they said she agreed to pay both checks and pay $100 to cover other expenses.

On Thursday, July 17 a Sag Harbor resident called Sag Harbor Village Police to report $6,500 had been withdrawn from her checking account via ATM withdrawals between June 3 and June 26. According to police, surveillance tapes indicated it was a family member and the woman chose not to press charges.

A North Haven resident called Southampton Town Police to report that between July 13 and July 19 someone took two kayaks, valued at $5,100, from a private community dock.

A woman walked out the door of a Long Wharf business wearing a $160 pair of Capezio coral shoes with beading, which she did not pay for, according to a police report filed in Sag Harbor by the store’s owner on Saturday, July 19. According to police, the woman purchased several items with a credit card, but failed to pay for the shoes.

On Sunday, July 20 a specialized blue bike, valued at $225, was taken from a bike rack in front of a Main Street, Sag Harbor business after its owner left it overnight, unlocked, according to a report filed with Sag Harbor Village Police. Earlier in the week, on Wednesday, July 16 an employee of a Main Street, Sag Harbor business reported his red mountain bike was taken from a bike rack on Main Street while he was working from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.

An anonymous caller alerted police to a sleeping man in the Sag Harbor Presbyterian (Old Whalers) Church on Friday, July 18 at 9:30 a.m. The 61-year-old man agreed to leave and not return.